Primitivo di Manduria DOP Riserva
Protected Designation of Origin.
Vines per ha:
5000 bush vines.
Very old vineyards selected in San Marzano and Sava. The soil is mainly red with a fine texture and a generally calcareous underground with few emerging rocks. The well-known redness of these soils is due to the presence of iron oxides. The climate is characterised by high temperatures all year round, very little rainfall and a wide temperature range between night and day, which has a positive influence on the quality of the grapes. This is the central area of d.o.p. ”Primitivo di Manduria”.
Second half of September
Grapes are hand-harvested in advanced status of ripening. Maceration: 18 days on 80% of the mass, 25 days on remaining 20%. Thermo-controlled alcoholic fermentation with autochthonous yeasts at 24-26°C.
18 months in fine French and American wood barrels.
A wine that preserves its organoleptic characteristics for 7 years.
Intense ruby red colour, wide and complex to the nose; fruity, with a prune and cherry jam aroma, with notes of tobacco, slightly spicy. A full-bodied wine, soft and rich in fine tannins, with notes of cocoa, coffee and vanilla in the end.
Best served with:
Red meat, game, savoury first courses. Meditation wine.